Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Graduation


Academia, the apple of my eye! ....................if only for a weekend.

To Steinbach Bible College and the pursuit of learned wisdom, at a Mennonite policy and price.

"It doesn't matter how slowly you go it's that you go" - Lao Zi

I try to remember this when I remember the truth that it's taken me 5 years to complete a 2 year diploma at my motherlands great state to faith, SBC. In all honesty though, I have no regrets at half a decade to travel/work/ministry/life in community and pretty much any other portion of the last 5 years.

I've just returned from one of the most SBC-y highs of my life.

The encourage fest started out with an alumni brunch and a friend playing the fiddle to the most classic of worship songs. Then I went with my parents and sister (the one in Canada) to a banquet for four In which I was honored to have Dr. Hiebert give a short outro to my on and off, love affair with the school. FIVE years of bantering in and out of Bridal school halls and my dear, but still SISTER was my date..... A bitter hearted HURRAH for a life of spiritual celibacy. I could really appreciate the evening though and could totally see the spiritual in several hundred gathered in faith and good company. I suppose it's been a while.

Then on Sunday the 26th, the Graduation. I spent the good portion of the time schpat-ing with Russ Reimer and catching up with Blaine Dueck. Its a little known fact that some of the best men in the world live in Belize. Then it was my turn to shake hands and smile at the crowd. Unfortunate for me, I was one of the few that didn't make it to the rehearsal and unfortunate for everyone else, I was the first up to receive my diploma. I jumped the gun and went for the stage before my name was called. Apparently I was supposed to wait in line until I was formerly addressed; it was fine and funny. Then after the cerimony I shook a line of eternal handshakes with well wishing strangers. Which was fine and fun.

One day later I was back in Thunder Bay and expecting a visit from a crew of my fellow grads and students. Every year there's a group of musicians and actors, from the school, that write a musical and then tour with it in one direction. This year they came East, and I booked them in 'the bay'. The highlight of the evening, for me, was when Malcolm Monro (from split lake northern MB) busted 3 testimonial tracks. The guys rapped his faith story.... seriously ill! The drama with musical interludes was terribly emotional and seriously awesome. Then the rest of the evening the crew of 15 student performers dispersed and mingled with the kids. I've often wondered at how well unassuming Aboriginal people seem to mesh with non-confrontational Anabaptists.

Then, today, I received a line of intense hugs and a gave a prayerful goodbye.

There's something deep in my blood, about my people. Its a complicated kindness and a peace that describes many.

So in the end of this Bible blaster chapter; I have a paper stating my diploma, my mind as affected and infected as I've allowed, a hoard of 'likewise' friends to spend the rest of my life making Mennonite connections to and two mugs with my school name on them.

Thanks LORD.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never got a mug!!

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll be a comment hog : )
I like the pictures on this post... your curly hair is very 1920's college boy! ha ha. Yes Dr. Hiebert, always the king of the zings.
I have to disagree with your comment about the Belizian men though. You've just had a lucky sampling! It's funny that you missed the rehersal - because I did too! But I was finishing an assignment... I think I should win the procrastination award for that.
I'm glad the SBC tour was a success. Scotty, I miss Mennonites so much!! When Lori was here though, you'll be happy to know that I had her teach me some Platdeutch: "Teet tom aeta" (time to eat), "Ek zee gontz maieed" (I am very tired), and "Ek val shlopa goena" (I'm going to bed). I like how the phrases say something about the people too :)
Wow, this has turned into a novel... one more thing - I suggest you download the Amazing Race Asia in your spare time!
Ok, peace out sib!

carissa said...

I love my sibs!

Scott, I am glad I was your dear date, even if I was second choice. I was honoured. And you have a congrats from a cute bible school grad... from the america's on my fb page, as well btw.. *wink*

Can I come hear a rap in T-bay one day? Maybe you could even be the opener.

Glad to hear SBCers visit was nice.. can't wait to hear about the ol' MGC boys visit:)

Andrea said...

Congrats, Scott!! I can just picture you going up too early to get your diploma. :)

And all you Penner siblings are TOO MUCH!! I wish I was as close with my siblings as you guys are.