Friday, November 21, 2008

Ethics??? short and to the point.


I'm writing this because it's in the Bible and I believe it's truth and worth stating and remembering.

"I can't stand your religious meetings. I'm fed up with your conferences and conventions. I want nothing to do with your religion projects, your pretentious slogans and goals. I'm sick of your fund-raising schemes, your public relations and image making. I've had all I can take of your noisy ego-music. When was the last time you sang to me? Do you know what I want? I want justice-- oceans of it. I want fairness--rivers of it. That's what I want. That's all I want." (Amos 5: 21-24, The Message)

Shoots those word tear deep?.... and the heart is in the right place too! .... justice ..... rights where wrongs happen.

There's a lot of wrongs when kids are having kids, and high schools are torn in violence in two, when people can't find a home outside of a social system or a treatment program because friends and family fall to pieces over what little money they can conger, when self harm is common ground to run from a life numbing boardom, when people will pay 300 street price for and escape in a shoppers brand prescriptions that are blatantly faked and government subsidized, and then when the over prescribed are forced to over medicate and fall even stronger onto our crutch of science in medicine.


I've come to understanding of that false, obstinate, and racist phrase I've quoted all to often "Everyone has a choice" ......... of course stated by myself (who has been given every 'choice' I could possibly have.)

In the example of Alcohol abuses.......
"....... In my lifetime tens of thousands of Native people have gone to an early grave with alcohol in their blood. Did these people die because of thousands of individual acts of free will? (choice) Or were they driven to their deaths by powerful outside forces that gave them no other choice? When your land has been taken, when your language has been degraded, when your spirit has been crushed, when you have been forced to live in squalor, when you face existence without hope, and when you are offered escape through drink.. what choice do you really have?" ...................................(National Native Alchohol and Drug Abuse Program, Discussion Paper (Ottawa, 1982); York Geoffery, "The Dispossessed" 1990, McArthur and company Publishing lim. )


So what to do? what to do? And why do a thing when we've got million dollar industries to help people and why help people if it won't keep us our 'help industry' jobs. We've got to protect our industry, and so in the fashion of supply and demand we can cut a cripple down to keep help coming on demand.

What to do? what to do? (in particular) Try to do something nice for a Native person who needs it, and I'll try to do likewise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, that's passionate. and informative - thanks!!

great Amos psg...

Rob said...

Hmmm, Questions lead to answers, or at least more questions.
Remeber Marv Penner qoted Jer 6:14
"They dress the wound of my poeple as if it were not serious. Peace,peace they say when there is no peace.

Sometimes I think the "they" is me